Providence Preservation Society announces its annual Most Endangered Properties list
The George C. Arnold Building Built in 1923, the George C. Arnold Building is the narrowest office building in Downtown. It was damaged in a fire in 2009 and continues to remain vacant.
Barnaby's Castle The Jerothmul B. Barnaby house, first commissioned in 1875, is a grand High Victorian mansion situated on Broadway in Federal Hill. The house is adorned with Barnaby's eccentric taste, and has been left vacant and in a state of disrepair for years.
Hope St. Flower Shop and Green House Located at 398 Hope Street, this historic flower shop has been a part of the community since 1885. It was closed recently due to the threat of demolition, and the Providence Preservation Society hopes that the Hope Street community will seek to preserve and re-open the flower shop.
Multi Family Housing Stock Providence is full of foreclosed multi-family housing stocks. These residences were once handsome and pleasant dwellings for working class citizens. Due to vacancy and neglect, these homes endanger whole neighborhoods' chances of revitalization.
Cathedral of St. John This isn't the first time that the Cathedral of St. John has been on the Most Endangered List. A beautiful property built in 1810 on College Hill, the structure of the church tower is rotting and causing damage to the integrity of the building. Without proper funds, the building cannot be maintained and is in danger of being closed.
The Kendrick-Prentice-Tirocchi House Built in 1867, the "Wedding Cake House" was maintained by a number of style- and clothing-oriented owners, most notably the Tirocchi Sisters. The house stood closed to the public until 1989, and while the community is planning a way to reuse the property, the building continues to deteriorate as the planning drags on.
Dynamo House The Dynamo House was the home of the Narragansett Electric Lighting Company, the second electric company in Providence. It was built in 1912, and has been left without a roof or windows while discussion of development as the Heritage Harbor Museum has been stalled.
Former RIDOT Headquarters and Garage The former headquarters for the Rhode Island Department of Transportation was built in 1927 and was one of the first modernist buildings erected by the State of Rhode Island. Plans for its demolition were halted but it is currently being underutilized due to the underdevelopment of plans to re-establish the building as a garage.
Roger Williams Park Seal House Constructed in 1938, the Roger Williams Park Seal House is suffering from neglect while awaiting rehabilitation from the City of Providence.
The Ward Baking Company Administration Building The Ward Baking Company Building was built sometime between 1901 and 1908, and has had numerous additions added to it over the years. The building has had many owners over the century, but has been left vacant since 1993. While there are plans for the building to be incorporated into office buildings, large areas of it are suffering from severe element damage and neglect.