The first day is hosted by the Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD Museum); which was founded in 1877 and features the country’s first museum wing devoted to the display of American decorative arts built in 1906 to replicate a Providence Federal-style residence.
Among the sites in Providence and environs to be toured:
The Providence Art Club, established, 1880, which includes: The Club House (known as the Obadiah Brown Brick House) built by Seril Dodge, 1790; a 1920 archway connects the Club House Gallery to The Seril Dodge House, 1786 - 1789. Also, part of the Club are The Deacon Edward Taylor House, 1784 and The Fleur-de-Lys Studios, designed by Sydney Burleigh and Edmund R. Willson, 1885.
The Providence Athenaeum, 1838, the only New England building designed by the Philadelphian William Strickland (additions: 1914, Norman Isham and 1979, Warren Platner); The Lippitt House, 1865, designed with construction supervision by Henry Lippitt (1818 - 1891); occupied by the family for 114 years, this Renaissance Revival villa with Italian palazzo elements features one of the best preserved Victorian interiors in America.
The Handicraft Club was founded in 1904; incorporated in 1921 the Club — in 1925 — purchased The Truman Beckwith House, ca. 1782 architect John Holden Greene; Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram designed The "Rising Sun" (The Arthur Knapp House), ca. 1897, featuring a Pagoda roof and attached "Tea Room"; The Clouds Hill (1871 - 1877), built by William S. Slater and occupied by four generations of his descendants, this Gothic Revival structure designed by Providence architect William R. Walker contains many examples of high quality period workmanship, including a distinctive Egyptian-themed room.
Among the sites in Newport to be toured on Saturday:
McKim, Mead & White, The Newport Casino (parts of which are housed in the International Tennis Hall of Fame),1879 - 1880; Kingscote, Original Builder: George Noble Jones, Architect: Richard Upjohn (1839-1841) and Mickim, Mead & White (1881); Chateau-sur-Mer, Original Architect, Seth C. Bradford, 1852; Richard Morris Hunt, remodeling and redecoration in the Second Empire French style, 1872-1880; Isaac Bell House, McKim, Mead & White in September of 1881 commissioned.
Among those participating at this early stage are:
John Dunnigan, furniture maker and Professor, RISD; Robert P. Emlen, Senior Lecturer, Department of American Studies, Brown University and Lecturer, History of Art & Visual Culture, RISD; Paul Miller, curator, Newport Mansions Preservation Society; John Tschirch, architectural historian; John Smith, director, RISD Museum; Elizabeth Williams, Curator of Decorative Arts & Design, RISD Museum; Richard Guy Wilson, Commonwealth Professor, University of Virginia; Kate Wodehouse, Director of Special Collections, The Providence Athenaeum.